Thursday, May 13, 2010

1980 ralph garr

here's ralph garr's 1980 o-pee-chee card:
here's the topps front:
now the o-pee-chee back:
and the topps back:
this one is a strange case. much like davey lopes and the cubs in 1984, garr actually joined the angels very late in the 1979 season. for whatever reason (likely production schedules), topps left him as a member of the white sox for their 1980 set. they didn't even add the "now with" text that they would later add to lopes' 1985 card. so, garr gets the full text and team variation from o-pee-chee.

he was brought on by the angels to help with their push for their first al west crown, and while he didn't play all that well, the angels did prevail. after being left off of the postseason roster (he may have been ineligible due to the late date that he joined the halos), garr was back with california in 1980. unfortunately, things didn't improve for him at the plate and he was released after appearing in just 21 games that season.

voici à vous, 1980 ralph garr!

1 comment:

  1. I just came across this blog. You may be able to help with my blog at http://ultimateset.blogspot.com/. I am taking the complete Topps set and adding in any cards of players from other sets that weren't in the Topps set. I never thought of using O-Pee-Chee cards to fill in the blanks until I saw this. For whatever reason, a handful of these cards found their way into my collection. I know I never actively bought a pack of O-Pee-Chee cards in my life.

    I am currently working on putting together a 1982 ultimate set, and if you have any information on the variations between Topps and O-Pee-Chee cards, drop me a line.

    ReplyDelete