Saturday, October 13, 2012

1977 rick monday

truth be told, this might be the card that provided the impetus for this blog.  i started to purchase o-pee-chee cards on a family vacation in 1978, and i was able to amass a fair number of cards from then until 1986.  i did not come across rick monday's card until much later, and i frankly regretted not knowing about it sooner.  so, eventually i decided to see what other variations might be out there and once i found them, i figured they were worth sharing.  but before i get to the wrap up post, there is this final variation to showcase.

in january of 1977, rick monday was traded from the cubs to the dodgers.  o-pee-chee whipped up a team variation, complete with a different (although poorly airbrushed) image and a slightly relocated facsimile autograph.  i wouldn't have it any other way.  here is monday's 1977 o-pee-chee card:
here's the topps front:
now the o-pee-chee back:
and the topps back:
monday became the center fielder on the team of my youth by virtue of that trade, and bill buckner became someone who simply 'used to be a dodger'.  i learned to appreciate billy buck a few years later when he won the batting title, but monday was one of 'my guys' from the start of my fandom.

unfortunately, monday had some injury issues in 1977, and his production was off from his big numbers in 1976. still, he helped the dodgers get to the postseason, and did so again in 1978 and especially 1981, when he had me jumping around the lunchtime elementary school playground as he circled the bases in montreal.

voici à vous, 1977 rick monday!

4 comments:

  1. awesome! great way to end things, with the card that started it all.
    Great series.... thanks for putting this out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes sense that Monday would be the last card, as he is a Dodger and all. This has been a fantastic site to follow, I am gonna miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a IL high school senior in 1977, I had to do a report on someone I admired, and I chose my favorite baseball player, Rick Monday. Had talked about what a great ball player he was, and him snatchng that american flag away when a couple guys tried to burn it, etc. I showed off the baseball cards I had of him. Then one guy in class couldn't help but add in (to the laughter of many in the class,) "They traded him away!" I sheeplishly asked, "When?" and they said , "Yesterday." The class laughed at me, plus I did a rather weak job anyway. Plus I hadn't heard the news the day before, so I was rather sad and embarrassed. Glad I can laugh about it 38 years later and share the story.

    ReplyDelete